Eversource Lineworker Certificate Program
The utility industry is experiencing tremendous growth in meeting and serving the energy demands of homeowners, businesses and municipalities across CT. There is a high demand for skilled resources to construct, maintain and service the electric infrastructure. Eversource Energy is partnering with Capital Community College and IBEW Locals 420 and 457 to deliver a Lineworker Certificate Program, which has been specifically designed to help develop the future workforce needed in this exciting field.
Students will develop the fundamental skills required to effectively install and maintain the Electric Distribution system, including the safe and effective use of common tools and equipment. Students will also build a strong working knowledge of accepted industry practices.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be ready for entry level employment as a Line Helper apprentice.
Matt says he always wanted to be a Lineworker. He gets to be outside, meet new people, work at various sites and solve different challenges every day. According to Matt, the best part of his job is that every day is different. “I can work on a variety of things from service, line extension or do underground work.” Yet, whatever the task, he says safety is always top of mind here at Eversource and he likes that he can utilize what he learns on the job and apply it to his home. Matt’s advice to new Lineworkers is “pay attention, be careful, and embrace the lifestyle because the rewards are worth it!” Matt also says he enjoys the camaraderie that exists among coworkers at Eversource. “My team is not only a great group to work with, we also enjoy time together outside of work, whether it’s playing in pick-up hockey games or getting together for golf tournaments.”
“Everybody looks at a job differently and feels encouraged to share their ideas to achieve the best result. It doesn’t matter who you are here. If you’re willing to work hard, you can achieve anything you want.”
- 3/5/24, 5pm, remote
- 3/7/24, 5pm, remote
- 3/12/24, 5pm, remote
*Dates subject to change
To sign up for an information session, go to https://forms.office.com/r/Ln9qhQyU0s – an email will be send out one week before the information session with the login information.
- The program is 13 weeks.
- Courses will be offered on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30-8:30pm and eight Saturdays, 8am-2:30pm.
- To successfully complete the program and earn the certificate, students must attend class online and training sessions in person.
Certificates Earned & Training Completed
- Lineworker Certificate
- AHA Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED Training
- OSHA10 Training
- CDL permit test preparation
Eversource Lineworker Program
Tue/Thu – 5:30pm-8:30pm – Remote
Sat – 9:00am-2:30pm – Eversource Training Yard
- $2,999.00 – Payment plan available. Scholarships may be available.
- Students will also be required to purchase Fire Retardant (FR) clothing and boots.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- High School, GED, or college transcripts must be emailed to [email protected].
- A copy of your driver’s license.
- Students will be expected to get a CDL license if hired into a Line Helper position with Eversource – https://portal.ct.gov/dmv/commercial-and-industry-services/get-commercial-driver-license?language=en_US
- Ability to work at heights in nearly all-weather conditions.
- Must pass testing required for the program, background check and drug screen.
- Students must have a computer/laptop and access to the Internet as many classes will be held virtually.
Eversource’s Lineworker Certificate Program is a selective admissions program. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as it will be a rolling acceptance.
- Submit your application to Capital Community College. This includes an application and copies of your transcripts for High School Diploma/GED (a college transcript can be used instead) and driver’s license. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be notified of next steps. Application is located below.
- Please send them to [email protected].
- Upon application acceptance by Capital Community College, your information will be forwarded to Eversource and you will be scheduled for an evaluation at the Eversource training facility on your ability to climb heights safely and an in-person interview at the Eversource facility.
- If recommended, you will be scheduled for Construction and Skilled Trade (CAST) test.
- Practice test strongly recommended. To access the practice test, go to EEI’s website, https://secure.eei.org/eeitests/onlineproducts/.
- b. Enter “eversource” as the name and “test” for the password.
- Receive a conditional acceptance into the program, pending a background check and drug screen.
The CAST test is required for admittance to the program. Practice is strongly recommended.
To access the practice test, go to EEI’s website, https://secure.eei.org/eeitests/onlineproducts/.
b. Enter “eversource” as the name and “test” for the password.