Eversource Lineworker Certificate Program
The utility industry is experiencing tremendous growth in meeting and serving the energy demands of homeowners, businesses and municipalities across CT. There is a high demand for skilled resources to construct, maintain and service the electric infrastructure. Eversource Energy is partnering with Capital Community College and IBEW Locals 420 and 457 to deliver a Lineworker Certificate Program, which has been specifically designed to help develop the future workforce needed in this exciting field.
Students will develop the fundamental skills required to effectively install and maintain the Electric Distribution system, including the safe and effective use of common tools and equipment. Students will also build a strong working knowledge of accepted industry practices.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be ready for entry level employment as a Line Helper apprentice.
Matt says he always wanted to be a Lineworker. He gets to be outside, meet new people, work at various sites and solve different challenges every day. According to Matt, the best part of his job is that every day is different. “I can work on a variety of things from service, line extension or do underground work.” Yet, whatever the task, he says safety is always top of mind here at Eversource and he likes that he can utilize what he learns on the job and apply it to his home. Matt’s advice to new Lineworkers is “pay attention, be careful, and embrace the lifestyle because the rewards are worth it!” Matt also says he enjoys the camaraderie that exists among coworkers at Eversource. “My team is not only a great group to work with, we also enjoy time together outside of work, whether it’s playing in pick-up hockey games or getting together for golf tournaments.”
“Everybody looks at a job differently and feels encouraged to share their ideas to achieve the best result. It doesn’t matter who you are here. If you’re willing to work hard, you can achieve anything you want.”
- The program is 11 weeks. It begins April 5th, concluding June 16th.
- Courses will be offered on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30-8:30pm and six Saturdays, 8am-2:30pm.
- To successfully complete the program and earn the certificate, students must attend class online and training sessions in person.
Certificates Earned & Training Completed
- Lineworker Certificate
- AHA Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED Training
- OSHA10 Training
- CDL permit test preparation
- $2,400.00 – Payment plan available. Scholarships may be available.
- Students will also be required to purchase Fire Retardant (FR) clothing and boots.
Live Virtual Information Sessions
To learn more about the program, join Eversource and Capital Community College for a live information session. Please register here.
Information Session Dates
- Thursday, December 2nd, 5pm
- Tuesday, December 7th, 5pm
- Thursday, December 16th, 5pm
- Tuesday, January 4th, 5pm
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- High School Diploma/GED (a college transcript can be used in lieu of the diploma).
- Driver’s license or the ability to obtain one. Students will be expected to get a CDL license if hired into a Line Helper position with Eversource- https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Licenses/Licenses/Commercial-Drivers/CDL—Main-Menu
- Ability to work at heights in nearly all-weather conditions.
- Must pass testing required for the program, background check and drug screen.
- Students must have a computer/laptop and access to the Internet as many classes will be held virtually due to COVID.
Eversource’s Lineworker Certificate Program is a selective admissions program with 15 spots open. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as it will be a rolling acceptance.
- Submit your application to Capital Community College by 1/16/2022. This includes an application and copies of your High School Diploma/GED (a college transcript can be used in lieu of the diploma). Your application will be reviewed, and you will be notified of next steps. Application is located below.
- Upon application acceptance by Capital Community College, you will be scheduled for an evaluation at the Eversource training facility on your ability to climb heights safely.
- If recommended, you will be scheduled for a virtual interview and a Construction and Skilled Trade (CAST) test.
- Practice test strongly recommended. To access the practice test, go to EEI’s website, https://secure.eei.org/eeitests/onlineproducts/. Enter “eversource” as the name and “test” for the password.
- Receive a conditional acceptance into the program, pending a background check and drug screen.
- Program begins on April 5, 2022.