Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Capital Community understands our role as a key stakeholder in the health and vitality of the region and the impact we make as an anti-poverty institution and “disruptor” of cycles of poverty that impact many of the residents of Hartford.
We have organized and committed ourselves to “doing more and better” to serve those that entrust their futures to our stewardship.
Our equity-minded campus culture and environment (classrooms, social spaces, offices, etc.) foster a sense of “belonging” by our faculty, staff, and students.
We unrelentingly seek to partner and lock arms with community-based organizations, corporations, and civic leaders that are also interested in providing ladders, “hand-ups”, and whatever is required to ensure our students have access to the middle class and beyond.
The vision for the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Center is a space in which College departments and community partner agencies work collaboratively to serve, educate, empower, and support members of our college community on their unique journeys to becoming who they aspire to be.
The mission of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Center is to provide a complementary space where, in meaningful and transformative ways, students overcome barriers to success, remain in school and complete their course of study. Programs and services offered through the center will be informed by scholarship, culturally relevant practice, and a strengths-based process.
We have identified four primary strategies to create a more equity-minded campus:
The Equity Center/Student Support Services
The Equity Center offers or coordinates a variety of non-academic support services to assist our students so they persist and complete certificate or degree programs. These services include, but are not limited to:
- Single Stop Benefit/Resource Self-Screen
- Housing Assistance
- Emergency Micro grants
- Book Scholarship
- Mental Wellness
- Nursing Mother’s Lounge
OTHER SUPPORTS ON CAMPUS
- Bus Passes
- Food Pantry
- Laptop Loan Program
- Veterans Services and Oasis Center
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion activities, events, programs and professional development opportunities are provided by a variety of entities, including the Center for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, Center for Teaching, Student Activities, etc. Equity development is not the responsibility of one office; services are provided throughout the college.
DEI Policy and Advocacy
Capital Community College follows the policies of the BOR and soon to be CT State. Policies are found in the faculty, staff, and student handbooks. (In future link to BOR/CSCU Policies page)
The Director of the Center for DEI focuses on the proactive side of DEI, not investigation and compliance. When necessary, the Director of the Center of DEI works with the CT State’s DEI Office to facilitate civil rights investigations on the campus. This includes but is not limited to assisting students and parent in filing grievances, coordinating campus level decision-making panels, coordinating supportive measures, and helping investigators to identify witnesses and schedule interviews.
DEI staff advocate for our students in the community to ensure they receive services in a timely and appropriate manner.
Data Collection/Equity-Related Assessments
Capital Community College and CT State develop, execute, disseminate, and evaluate a variety of assessments to gain equity-related information to support our students and to inform programming and to measure progress. See assessments under Important Links/Resources
Equity Center Staff (22-23)
- Carl Guerriere, Director, Center for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Michael Kriscenski, Wellness Counselor
- Donna Brown-Roberts, Navigator
- Karla Rodgriguez, Student Equity Ambassador
- Lyka Mtambo, Intern
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (22-23)
- Basche, Marie, Director, Academic Success Center
- Braverman, Lisa (Co-chair), Associate Professor Math and Science
- Caldwell, Nicole, Assistant Professor Nursing
- Carrasquillo, Helena, Disabilities Service Coordinator
- Cohen, Rachel, Associate Professor, FNP-BC
- Guerriere, Carl (Co-chair), Director, Center for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Herron, Kathy, Professor Math and Science
- LaGuardia, Nancy, Professor Management and Marketing
- Miller, Jacqueline, Assistant Professor Nursing
- Marilee Roussat, Associate Professor Business and Technology
- Robinson, Ariel, Director, Title V
- Sanchez-Blanco, Adolfo, Assistant Professor and Health Science Program Coordinator
- Scappaticci, Jason, Dean of Faculty and Students
- Ward, Randall Director, Student Activities
- Student Initiated Activities
- Equity Center Initiative Begins
- CEO Harris Launches Equity Effort
- Hartford Foundation for Public Giving Awards Planning Grant
- Black and Latino Summit
- Capital Collaborates 2019
- Capital Collaborates 2020
- Hartford Foundation for Public Giving Awards Grant
- Rapid Housing Grant
- New Staff Hired with Mental Health Grant
- Student Ambassador Hired
- Women’s Leadership Forum Kicks Off Dedicated Support for Women
- Single Stop Pilot Project