Due to COVID-19 the college is closed and cannot offer the Accuplacer Placement Test at this time. We are still registering New Students for fall 2020.
Please submit your High School/GED transcripts and sending your SAT/ACT scores to LSumlin@capitalcc.edu. Students may also submit questions regarding placement to this email.
What is the ACCUPLACER Placement Test?
- ➢ computer-adaptive (the test adjusts to how you respond to previous questions)
- ➢ multiple-choice format, except for the WritePlacer (typed essay)
- ➢ untimed (test completion: 1-3 hours on average)
- ➢ ENGLISH and MATH
Why does Capital use the ACCUPLACER Placement Test?
Capital uses the ACCUPLACER® Placement Test to provide students with useful information about their academic skills in Math, Reading, and Writing. The results of this test, in conjunction with their academic background, goals, and interests, are used by academic advisors and counselors to determine a student’s Math and English course selection. You cannot “pass” or “fail” the placement test, but it is very important you prepare and do your best.
How can a student be exempt from the ACCUPLACER Placement Test?
Exemption will be granted to students if they have met one of the following requirements.
- ➢ Took the SATs or ACTs within the last 3 years and have met Capital’s score
- requirements below:
- OLD SATs (prior to March 2016): Reading/Writing 450+, MATH-550+
- NEW SATs (March 2016 & future): Critical Reading 25+, MATH-570+
- ACTs: ENGLISH 22 OR ENGLISH Combined 47, MATH-18 – 21
- ➢ Attained a “C” or better in previous college credit-level English and/or Math
- ➢ Matriculating student with an Associate’s degree or higher.
- ➢ Took an ACCUPLACER Placement test at a previous institution within the last 3 years.
Students must submit appropriate documentation (college transcripts, SAT/ACT or Accuplacer score reports) to the Placement Testing Center to ensure they have met requirements for test exemption.
How can a student prepare for the test?
- ACCUPLACER Study App
- Collegeboard ACCUPLACER Sample Questions
- Mometrix ACCUPLACER Test Preparation
- Khan Academy (MATH)
- YouTube videos
- Online test prep websites
Frequently Asked Questions