Capital Community College’s ESL Program is designed to enable non-native English speaking students to develop and synthesize the core English language proficiency skills necessary for success towards attaining a college degree or certificate. As a reflection of Capital Community College’s mission: The ESL Program is committed to providing access to higher education through meeting the English language learning needs of the diverse residents of Greater Hartford.
The integrated five-level ESL curriculum includes courses in speaking, listening, reading and writing. Each level consists of two courses taught by the same instructor that results in a type of learning community. Online computer-assisted language learning, which can be accessed anytime and anywhere, has been integrated into each level to facilitate student learning.
Levels one through four consist of six hours of class time. Level five includes a seventh hour. The first two levels are non-credit developmental courses and range from advanced beginner to intermediate levels of language proficiency. The third, fourth and fifth levels are credit bearing and continue from intermediate to advanced levels of language proficiency.
Please feel free to download, print, and distribute the attached ESL Program Brochure:
ESL Student Resources
- ESL Academic Advising
- In collaboration with the Counseling Office, the ESL Administrator and full time ESL faculty will advise and guide ESL students through the ESL curriculum towards their chosen field of study/major.
- If you are a current student and would like to make an ESL Advising appointment with the ESL Administrator, please click here.
- ESL Tutoring Services
- All academic support is directed by the Academic Success Center, providing a wealth of individual, online, and small group tutoring for all majors.
- Current students may contact the Academic Success Center or ESL Administrator to make an appointment.
- ESL Faculty
- This dynamic team of faculty members hold graduate degrees in TESOL and related fields. They employ a range of student-centered instructional methods and techniques.
For more information, please contact the ESL Program Administrator, Eric Vargas, at (860) 906-5203 or (860) 906-5144. The ESL Program is located on the Fourth Floor, room 406. Please feel free to visit the campus.
- Display academic values and readiness for content-area courses in an American post secondary system
1 Take responsibility for his/her own learning
1.2 Employ college resources to navigate the academic environment
1.3 Demonstrate basic competence with information technology
- Demonstrate ability to comprehend, interpret and apply spoken, written and socio-cultural forms of communication
1 Demonstrate awareness of both explicit and implied meaning in extended spoken discourse
2.2 Read with comprehension of both content and organization
2.3 Recognize and employ elements of socio-cultural communication appropriate to a variety of situations
- Apply a range of language structures to interact effectively in interpersonal and academic situations
1 Speak with sufficient accuracy and fluency to report information and express and develop opinions
3.2 Write about a variety of topics with level-appropriate correctness, clarity and detail
- Display effective cross-cultural communication competence
1 Display understanding of and respect for cultures of fellow students
4.2 Demonstrate awareness of and ability to function effectively in U.S. culture and society
El programa académico de Inglés como Segundo Idioma (ESL) en Capital Community College prepara estudiantes para tomar cursos a nivel universitario y lograr sus metas educativas, ya sea para obtener un grado asociado o un certificado.
En solidaridad con la misión de Capital Community College: El Programa de ESL se dedica a proveer acceso a la educación superior y apoyar a la comunidad multicultural de la region de Hartford a través del aprendizaje del idioma inglés.
El currículo de ESL incluye cinco niveles de instrucción en las áreas de conversación, comprensión, lectura y escritura. Cada nivel se divide entre dos cursos dirigido por el mismo profesor. Se ha integrado programas digitales basado en web para facilitar el aprendizaje de los estudiantes. Recursos estudiantiles incluyen tutoría individual y en grupos dirigido por el Academic Success Center y consejería académica hecho en colaboracion con el Counseling Office.
Para obtener más información sobre los pre-requisitos del Programa de ESL, llame a Eric Vargas, Administrador del Programa ESL a (860) 906-5203 o (860) 906-5144. La oficina de ESL se encuentra en el cuarto piso, puerta 406. Visitenos o llamenos hoy.