Public Transportation Bus Riders: Save Money With A U-Pass


Riding buses and trains in Connecticut is now FREE for most students at participating U-Pass CT schools! The cost of the program is already included in your student fees, so all you need is your U-Pass CT and your valid student ID and you’re on your way. Use yours TODAY!

Participating Transit Systems Include:

  • CTtransit statewide (including CTtransit Express and CTfastrak)
  • Greater Bridgeport Transit
  • Norwalk Transit
  • Housatonic Area Regional Transit
  • Milford Transit
  • South East Area Transit
  • Windham Region Transit District
  • Magic Carpet
  • Northwestern CT Transit District
  • 9 Town Transit
  • Middletown Area Transit
  • The program also includes train travel on Shore Line East and the New Haven Line operated by Metro-North for service up to the state line – not valid for travel to NY or on Amtrak.

CTtransit Express

  • Hartford
  • New Haven
  • Waterbury
  • Stamford
  • New Britain
  • Bristol
  • Meriden
  • Wallingford
  • FAQs


  • New Haven Line (Intrastate travel only. Not valid for travel to NYC)
  • Shore Line East


1. Who is eligible?

The UPass is available to both full and part time credit undergraduate students at the colleges and universities taking at least one class per semester on campus. Quinebaug, Northwestern and Naugatuck Valley Community Colleges and Eastern and Western CT State Universities are not participating in the program in the fall of 2017. In addition, at this time graduate students as well as exclusively online, non-credit and early college/high school students are not eligible for the program.

2. For how long is the pass effective?

The fall semester UPass covers August 1-December 31, 2017. The spring semester UPass covers January 1-July 30, 2018.

3. What is the cost?

Each student is charged $20 per semester for the pass. The DOT has set this special rate for our students only; normal cost to the public is $63 per month. The transportation fee is considered an institutional charge so financial aid may be applied.

4. How do students get the UPASS?

System office will get the passes to each school by August 1 and December 15 for distribution prior to the start of the term. There will be enough passes for all students but students are not obligated to pick up or use the card. Each school will keep a log of all passes disseminated with the student name and pass number to be submitted with their transfer of funds to System Office.

5. What is required for students to use pass and on what types of transportation can it be used?

Students must have a valid student ID to show along with their pass when using the transportation systems. Students can use the unlimited semester pass to travel within the state on rail or bus including CTtransit and CTfastrak, but excluding Amtrak.

6. What happens if student loses pass?

Schools may use their discretion on whether to charge a fee for replacement, but it is preferable that a student only be given one replacement pass per semester. After that, they must wait for the next semester to get a new pass.

7. What happens if student attends multiple CSCU schools?

The student should only be charged once for the pass. Students will have to request a waiver after the payment of the first fee.

8. Is the fee refundable if student withdraws?

Student fees, which include the transportation fee, are generally non-refundable. Schools may use their discretion on this matter but because the student’s UPass would be active until the end of the semester, schools should only refund the fee if the UPass is returned. Schools will not be reimbursed for waived fees once the transfer of funds to system office has been made and DOT paid.

9. How will the funds be paid to DOT and by whom?

Payment will be made by System Office to DOT twice a year and collected from each institution as part of the system operating transfer based on the actual amount collected by enrollment census date.

10. Who do colleges contact with problems?

Alice Pritchard, Chief of Staff or Erika Steiner, Chief Financial Officer at System Office are serving as the point people for this program.


11. How does the U-Pass work?

When boarding the bus, show the driver your Student ID Card and insert the pass, with the arrow on the front pointing forward, into the pass reading machine on the farebox. The farebox will “beep” to indicate your pass has been accepted. You’re ready to ride. A block before your stop, pull the signal cord to notify the driver you want to exit the bus.

12. What if I have questions?

If you have route or schedule questions, please call CTTRANSIT customer service representatives at (860) 525-9181 or visit them on the Web at Students with special needs please call TTY 727-8196.

13. Where will it take me?

Ride the bus to class, to the mall or out of town. Getting around Metro Hartford has never been easier. CTTRANSIT operates everyday; morning, noon, or night. Rain or shine to get you where you need to go.

To report a lost or stolen pass, or for questions regarding administration of the U-PASS program, contact the Bursar’s Office at (860) 906-5061.