Welcome to the Placement Testing Center Webpage at Capital Community College! Our staff is dedicated to providing comprehensive proctoring services to incoming and current students in a comfortable and positive environment. These services consist of the following:
Students must ensure they have been accepted to the College and have received a Banner Student ID number prior to taking the ACCUPLACER® Placement and ESL tests.
Students with Disabilities
If you have a documented disability and require academic adjustments, please contact: Helena Carrasquillo (Disabilities Coordinator) at (860) 906-5204
To obtain adjustments, you must schedule an appointment with Helena and provide documentation which describes your disability and supports your need to receive adjustments. This should be done 2 weeks prior to your test appointment. Academic adjustments for testing will only be provided to students who have completed this process. For more information, please visit the Office of Support Services for Academic Success.
PLACEMENT TESTING ADJUSTMENTS
All new students need to submit SAT or ACT test scores or take an Accuplacer Placement Exam. You may request test-taking adjustments (a.k.a. accommodations) for the placement test, but most students may not need to. If you need additional testing adjustments, please contact Helena Carrasquillo, Interim Disability Services Coordinator.
There are already a number of accessibility features built into the process:
- The test is completed on a computer and is “multiple-choice”.
- Only one question is presented at a time with the choices.
- Screen magnification is available. Simply request from the test proctor.
- The placement test is not timed, because we want you to give every question as much thought as you need. Students usually take 20 – 30 minutes to complete each section (three English sections, and two math sections), but you may work at your own pace.
- It is best to schedule a morning appointment.
- Students are encouraged to schedule the test in two parts (English and Math) for different days. When scheduling the day and time, please enter the type of test that you will take that day.
- Students can request a break at any time. The test is saved and students may complete the exam after a few minutes or on a different day.
- Students will be asked to complete an essay as part of the English portion of the exam. The essay is written with the computer in a text file (without “spellcheck” or “grammar check”). The student may request to complete the essay on a different day; but once a student begins the essay it must be completed in one sitting.
- For the math portion, no calculators are allowed. A calculator will appear on the screen during portions of the exam that require use of a calculator.