Degree Works – Advisor/Counselor FAQ

About Degree Works

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a Web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion. Degree Works also allows students and their Faculty Advisors or Professional Counselors to plan future academic coursework by viewing courses remaining.

How do I login to Degree Works?

Once you have logged into myCommNet you will see the Degree works portal with links to the college (or colleges) where you are an Advisor/Counselor. Choose the Capital Community College link.

Are Advisors/Counselors restricted to viewing only their advisees’ information?

No, Advisors/Counselors can find any student by entering the student’s Banner ID in the ID field (@ must be included), or by using the Find button and search using different parameters in the search window.

What group of students are included in Degree Works?

All students who have attended CCC since 2007 are included in Degree Works as well as all new unregistered students. Students that have a catalog term of Fall 2016 or later should use DegreeWorks.  Students with a catalog term older than Fall 2016 like Spring 2016 must continue to use CAPP. The last upgrade to program requirements in CAPP was for the 2015-2016 catalog.

What if a student does not have a degree evaluation in Degree Works?

There are a couple of reasons that this may occur:

  • The student has not declared a major or is non-matriculating. A student must have a major assigned in Banner to create an audit.
  • The student’s catalog year is not available in Degree Works. If the student has a catalog term of Summer 2016 or older the student will need to continue to use CAPP.
  • The student has not had any activity on the student record since 2007. A student can perform a What-If audit even if a degree evaluation cannot be processed.
 What is a degree evaluation?

A Degree Works degree evaluation is a review of past, current and in-progress coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree or certificate.

What if a student is enrolled in two programs?

If a student is enrolled in two academic programs the Advisor/Counselor will be able to view both programs by choosing from the Academic Program drop-down list to the right of the student’s name in the Degree Works display.

Can students register for classes in Degree Works?

No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in-progress and in academic history. Registration, add/drop, etc., are still handled through the registration function in myCommNet.

Are grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works. Courses in-progress are listed with a grade of ‘REG’ and the credits in parentheses.

Is a Degree Works evaluation a transcript, or is this the same as a transcript?

No. A Degree Works degree evaluation shows progress toward graduation as well as an outline of requirements still needed to complete a program of study.

Can an Advisor/Counselor see a list of all of the classes taken by a student?

Yes. When viewing a student’s degree evaluation click on the ‘Class History’ link at the top for a printable list of courses taken.

What do I do if I believe a student’s information is incorrect?

You should contact the registrar’s office, identify the information that you believe is in error, and request that they review the student’s record.

Using the Degree Evaluation

What will a degree evaluation show about a student?

A degree evaluation will display the courses a student has taken and any courses that are in progress. The degree evaluation will show any degree requirements that have been met by the courses taken or that may be met upon satisfactory completion of courses in progress.

Will a student’s entire academic history at CCC be viewable?

Degree Works uses the information that is current on a student’s transcript. Any courses that have been completed, registered for, transferred in by the date the degree evaluation was last refreshed (an overnight process each night) will be displayed. Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on a student’s degree evaluation.

Note: If the student’s record has had any Banner changes since the nightly run (grades, registration, add/drop, etc.), Advisors/Counselors can click the ‘Process New’ button to refresh the degree evaluation with the very latest Banner data.

How does a student know what classes need to be taken?

A degree evaluation will outline the courses still needed to meet degree requirements. In order to view only the courses remaining choose ‘Registration Checklist’ in the drop-down box that displays ‘Student View’.

Can I view course information in Degree Works?

Yes.  By clicking on a course in the degree evaluation or courses remaining you can view any pre-requisites required, as well as course sections available for the upcoming semester.

If a student withdraws from a class will it be reflected in the degree evaluation?

Courses from which a student has withdrawn will appear in the Ineligible Coursework portion on the degree evaluation.

‘What If’

What is the ‘What If’ feature?

The ‘What If’ function shows what a degree evaluation would look like with a different program. The new ‘What If’ degree evaluation will show the student what coursework is required for the new major, what courses have to be taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are remaining.
Note: New programs may appear in the ‘What-If’ Feature before they appear in the CCC college catalog.

If a student uses the ‘What If’ feature does this mean that they have changed their major?

No. The ‘What If’ function shows what a degree evaluation would look like with a different program. This DOES NOT officially change the student’s record,

How does a student officially change their major?

If a student would like to change their major they must complete a Change of Major form available on the CCC website at

or they can visit the Registrar’s office (Room 207) and fill out the Change of Major Form.


What are Exceptions?

When a waiver has met all approvals it will appear on a student’s degree evaluation as an “Exception”. Exceptions are permanently part of the student’s Degree Works audit and will be viewable only in Degree Works

Is the Waiver procedure different now that we have Degree Works?

No, CCC’s waiver procedure remains the same, the only difference now is that a waiver is visible to the student and their Advisor/Counselor whenever they review the degree evaluation. Exceptions are permanently part of the student’s Degree Works audit and will be viewable only in Degree Works.

Who can add an exception?

The final step in the waiver process is to present the Waiver form to the Registrar’s office. The Registrar’s office will apply the waiver to Degree Works as an exception. Only the Registrar’s office can add an Exception to Degree Works.


Can a degree evaluation be printed?

Yes, you can print a degree evaluation by clicking on the ‘Print’ button at the top. For a more print-friendly view, save the degree evaluation as a PDF (click Save as PDF button) and then print the document. Be sure to treat a printed Degree Evaluation with the same level of confidentiality as you would any other student record.

GPA Calculators

What is the Graduation Calculator?

The Graduation Calculator enables a student to determine the GPA they will need to earn on AVERAGE for the rest of the courses needed to take in order to graduate with a specific desired GPA.

What is the Term Calculator?

The Term Calculator enables a student to estimate the Term GPA based on the projected grades for the classes that they are currently taking.

What is the Advice Calculator?

The Advice Calculator provides students with different ‘paths’ that they can potentially take to earn a desired GPA.