The adult Mental Health First Aid course is appropriate for adults who want to learn how to help a person who may be experiencing a mental health related crisis or problem. Topics covered include anxiety, depression, psychosis, and addictions. Learn a 5-step action plan to assessing risk, respectfully listening to and supporting the individual in crisis, and identifying appropriate professional help and other supports. Participants will receive a certification from Mental Health First Aid USA. Students must attend all 8 hours to receive certification.
- Recognize the signs of addiction and mental illness
- Discuss the impact of mental and health disorders
- List the 5-steps to assess a situation and help
- Describe local resources that are available to help
- Utilize techniques to support an individual until appropriate professional help arrives
Required text: Mental Health First Aid USA, included in course cost and provided in class.
Course #: HMED G5392
Time: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm* Must attend all 8 hours to receive certification
Instructor: Valerie English Cooper