The Laboratory School at Capital Community College provides a high quality program for preschool children ages three to five years old. Open to children of Capital Community College students and staff, as well as members of the community, the Center is staffed with qualified and experienced early childhood professionals.
The Laboratory School provides a safe and nurturing environment for all children. We partner with families to establish ongoing, two-way communication, and our open-door policy welcomes parents to the classroom at any time. We encourage families to share information with us, and we value their input.
Our curriculum supports the development of each child as an individual, in an environment that values each family’s ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Teachers strive to build positive self-identity in every child and to appreciate each other’s differences.
The Laboratory School is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and licensed by the State Department of Public Health.
- To provide a warm and accepting environment in which children experience success, build a positive self-image, and develop to their fullest potential.
- To develop dignity and respect for oneself and others.
- To stimulate and encourage children to develop intellectually, socially, emotionally, and physically through a variety of experiences.
- To encourage learning as a life-long experience.
Location and Schedule
- The Lab School is located on the Talcott Street level of the building.
- The schedule of the Lab School follows the Capital Community College academic calendar during the Fall and Spring semesters and is open Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
All children who are between the ages of two years and 8 months and four years old are eligible for enrollment. All children must be toilet trained. Priority enrollment is given to the children of Capital Community College students and faculty, but children in the community are also welcome to attend. Enrollment applications and additional information is available by calling the Director of Child Development Center at (860) 906-5238.
In addition to providing quality childcare, the Lab School serves as a model setting for students in Capital Community College’s Early Childhood Education Program. Students observe, practice, and master the skills necessary to plan and implement their own quality preschool program after graduation.
The Director, Teachers, and Education Assistant all have degrees in Early Childhood Education and work with both the preschoolers and the college students. The ratio of teachers to children is maintained at a high level due to the Early Childhood Training component.
The cost of attending the Lab School varies according to the status of the parent. Students pay the minimum rate and also are eligible for partial scholarships during each semester. We also accept parents enrolled in the Care-4-Kids program.
The costs for a child to attend the Lab School are:
- Students $3.50 per hour
- Faculty /Staff $5.00 per hour
- Community $5.00 per hour