Credible Messenger Training
In partnership with the City of Hartford and Full Citizens Coalition, CT State Community College Capital Campus invites individuals with past justice-involvement to join our Credible Messenger Training Program.
Use your life experience to help others and get paid while doing it.
This training will prepare YOU to become a change agent, who will support, assist, and facilitate access to community resources to people currently involved in the justice system. Training topics covered include: strategies for crisis intervention, conflict resolution, and de-escalation techniques; motivational interviewing skills; emotional intelligence and social emotional learning; self-care and more. A Mental Health First Aid Certification is included in the training. Credible Messenger Trainees can earn up to $100 per week for the duration of the training, which lasts approximately 10 weeks. Incentives will be provided for perfect attendance. Trainees will be provided with support from Full Citizens Coalition.
Who are Credible Messengers?
Credible Messengers are:
- Neighborhood leaders
- Experienced advocates
- Change agents
- Positive influencers in the community
- Individuals with relevant life experiences whose role is to help others transform attitudes and behaviors around violence.
- Hartford resident
- Over 25 years old
- Lived experience with the criminal justice system – this can be direct involvement or secondary (e.g., family member was incarcerated).
- No criminal cases pending in court.
- Able to demonstrate a pattern of social/civic engagement.
- Ability to establish trusting relationships with clients, families, and community service providers.
Cost: Free for eligible participants
*Other sessions available in Spring 2024
Learn more about the program. Staff from City of Hartford, Full Citizens Coalition and CT State will be present.
Wednesday, 10/11/23, 6:00pm-7:00pm
Wednesday, 10/18/23, 6:00pm-7:00pm
To sign up for the information session: https://forms.office.com/r/4K5j8gqFcT
Classes are forming now. Applications are being accepted now! Apply below: