In today’s highly diverse work environment, being culturally sensitive is a must. Recognizing and placing value on cultural and ethnic differences will allow you to make informed decisions, control conscious and unconscious bias, reduce misunderstandings, and work together more cohesively.
Cultural competence entails learning about other cultures, its customs and values; but it also involves opening yourself to cultural differences. Self-reflection and the desire to learn about other cultures play a very important role in bridging cultural differences.
- Explore cultural traditions and values from other countries.
- Examine barriers to a to successful intercultural communication.
- Learn about nonverbal communication as it applies to other cultures.
- Explore conflict resolution skills.
- Learn about emotional intelligence and its role in cultural cross-communication.