NOTE: Background checks are required for most allied health positions. Students with felony convictions may have difficulty obtaining employment in these fields.
- Medical terminology related to the pharmacy field
- Dosage calculations and dose conversion
- Proper storage, inventory control, drug security
- Interpreting prescriptions and defining drugs by generic and brand names
- Procedures for dispensing prescriptions
- Maintaining equipment & work areas through prescribed methods
- Customer service, billing, and insurance reimbursement
The course will prepare you to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) national certification exam, which is a separate cost. Those with a felony conviction may not be able to take the certification exam. Please contact PTCB for more information on felony convictions: http://www.ptcb.org/
- High school diploma or GED
- Basic computer skills
- Pass assessment tests for reading and math. Call our information center at (860) 906-5130 to schedule testing. Individuals with college experience may request the assessment tests be waived.
Course Code: HMED G5356
Date: 6/17/19 to 8/9/19 (No class 7/5)
Day/Time: Mon/Wed/Fri, 9:00am to 12:00pm
Instructor: P. Sposato
More sections coming this fall.
The Connecticut Department of Labor reports that employment in this occupation is expected to grow faster than average, and the number of annual openings will offer very good job opportunities. As a Pharmacy Technician you may expect your entry-level rate to be approximately $12.48 per hour and an average annual income of $35,501 in Connecticut.