Capital’s Career Advancement Program (CCAP) is an innovative educational opportunity developed by Capital Community College with Greater Hartford’s insurance and financial services companies. These companies recognize that you, the leaders of tomorrow, are in Capital Community College’s classrooms today. This highly effective program provides you with resources and supports intended to enhance your degree and give you a competetive advantage in business.
As a CCAP scholar the benefits you derive may include paid internships, financial support towards your associates degree, mentoring from experienced business professionals, and career exploration opportunities in the field of insurance and financial services. If you’ve dreamed of a challenging and rewarding college experience that integrates academic excellence with practical experiential learning in a leading-edge corporate environment, then Capital’s Career Advancement Program is what you are looking for.
What are the entrance requirements?
To be considered for the program you must:
• Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater
• Successfully complete at least 15 credits including ENG 101, MAT 137 and CSA 105
• Be a United States Citizen or permanent resident
• Matriculate into one of the following degree programs: Accounting, Computer & Information Systems, Management, or Liberal Arts & Sciences (Limited)
• Have at least two semesters remaining at Capital Community College
• Intend to graduate within the next three years from Capital Community College with an associates degree
What is the process?
Applicants submit required documents for review by program staff
• Preference is given to students with the intention of pursuing a four-year degree
• Selected applicants are interviewed and evaluated by business and academic professionals
• Finalists apply to Travelers and /or United HealthCare and must meet each company’s employment requirements (employment application, background and criminal investigation, and drug test)
• Offi cial college transcript(s) must be submitted to be offi cially accepted into CCAP
What are the program benefits?
Once you are accepted into the program you will:
- Meet other highly motivated students
- Receive coaching and guidance from assigned corporate mentors, faculty mentors and program coordinator
- Participate in a part-time paid internship at Travelers or United HealthCare during spring and fall semesters
- Participate in a full-time (40 hours per week) paid internship during the summer
- Attend professional development workshops during semester breaks and periodically throughout the year that will prepare you for a career in the insurance/financial services industry
What is expected of me?
• Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater throughout participation in program
• Successfully complete a minimum of nine credits per semester and a one-time three-credit summer internship course
• Attend meetings with your faculty mentor, program coordinator and corporate mentors
• Complete the required professional development workshops and seminars during semester breaks
• Participate in the required internship
• Adhere to internship site’s employee policies and procedures
• Receive, at minimum, a ‘meets expectations’ rating from your manager on your performance evaluation
• Attend career coaching/networking sessions
• Arrange transportation to and from your work location
• Graduate with an associates degree from Capital Community College within the next three years
• Plan to continue education at a four-year college or university upon graduation from Capital Community College
• Serve as leadership advocate for program among peers and potential program candidates
How do I get started?
• Complete the required program application
• Prepare the required high-quality essay demonstrating solid writing skills
• Obtain a letter of recommendation from faculty or college administrator
• Complete and submit your resume