The Academic Success Center provides a wide range of services to help students become active, independent learners. With guidance from friendly and diverse tutors, students review course content, learn to study, practice writing effectively and discuss time management issues. Free tutoring is helpful to students whether they are high achieving learners, struggling learners or somewhere in between.
No appointment is necessary on Monday – Thursday 1:30pm to 5:30pm and Friday 11am to 3pm.
1. Math and Science Center including Statistics – Room 412 Review concepts and practice skills.
2. Reading and Writing Lab – Room 409 Improve reading strategies. Brainstorm and revise writing products for all subjects.
3. Computer Center – Room 423 Get help with all computer and Blackboard questions and support with learning software. Make this your homework station and ask tutors for help exactly when you need it.
Individual Tutoring by Appointment
One on one help available in most subjects. Call (860) 906-5200 for information on schedules and/or to make an appointment.
A free online tutoring platform offering help with math, writing, biology chemistry, nursing, and research methods. Also, written work can be submitted electronically and returned with comments within 48 hours.
An intensive program for prospective and first year students to help students improve placement test scores and to succeed in initial English and math courses at Capital. Next mini-course starts soon Sign up now.
- Test proctoring for students with excused absences and the instructor’s recommendation.
- Testing accommodations for students with disabilities who require extended time and /or a low distraction space.
- Academic Coaching by the Learning Strategist to review study skills, test-taking strategies, time management and organization.
- Transitional Coaching for students involved in developmental level English or math courses.
- CASAS support for Certified Nursing Assistant applicants as well as course content review.
- Adaptive Technology including Kurzweil 3000 with audio Support for reading texts.
- Dedicated tutors attend two weeks of many classes each semester and return when needed as requested by the instructor for special projects.
- Tours and classroom visits by tutors help students become familiar with ASC services.
- Sharing syllabi and assignments with tutors by emailing them to Marie Basche, Director of the ASC
- Faculty encourage students to visit the ASC to work with tutors using the ASC Prescription Form.
- Meet our ASC “Faculty Liaisons.” By providing additional academic support in the ASC and interacting with our tutors, they are helping to build a strong connection between the classroom and the Center.
Academic Success Center Staff
- Tammy Wright
- Carla Martinez
- Reuben Cartagena
- Mari Carmen Holgado Zuniga
Emily Hebert, Learning Specialist, meets individually with students to work on the time management skills and learning. Emily also has extensive knowledge in the field of literacy and is prepared to assist you with reading challenges.
Laura Reale-Foley, EdD, Coordinator of Tutoring Services and Transitional Programs, an expert in developmental education and college readiness, will support you in your transition to college, academic progress, and learning success.
Academic Success Center
Monday – 9am to 7:30pm
Tuesday – 9am to 7:30pm
Wednesday – 9am to 7:30pm
Thursday – 9am to 7:30pm
Friday – 9am to 4:30pm
Saturday – 9am to 1pm