A place to Learn, Connect & Succeed
The Academic Success Center provides a wide range of services that enable students to develop the skills and confidence necessary to become active, independent and responsible learners. With guidance from a friendly and diverse staff of professional and peer tutors, students review course content and learn to study take tests, and manage their time more effectively – all in a welcoming environment.
What does the ASC offer?
Free tutoring for all registered students including:
Three Convenient Drop-in Centers
- Math Center – Room 412 (including help with statistics) – Review concepts and practice your math skills.
- Writing Center – Room 409 – Enhance your grammar and writing skills for all subjects.
- Computer Center – Room 423 – Get help with all computer questions and support with software.
Individual Tutoring by Appointment
- One-on-one help available in most subjects. Call (860) 906-5200 for information on specific schedules and to make an appointment.
Workshops – Tutor-led discussions on various topics of interest including grammar, calculator use, essay writing, textbook reading, and research methods.
Group Tutoring – Small group study sessions led by tutors in the ASC or in a lab.
eTutoring.org – a free collaborative online tutoring platform offering help with math (including statistics and calculus), writing, biology, chemistry, nursing, and research methods.
Center for Academic Transitions (CAT) – An intensive program for prospective students offering tutoring and instructional software to help students improve their placement test scores and accelerate their pace to college-level English and math courses.
- Test proctoring – (See current schedule)
- Testing accommodations for students with disabilities who require extended time and/or a low distraction space.
- Make-up testing for students with excused absences and instructor’s permission.
- Academic Coaching – one-on-one conferences to discuss study skills, test taking, time management, and organization.
Adaptive Technology & Instructional Software including:
- Embedded Tutoring – Tutors offer classroom support in developmental and gateway courses
- Tours/Classroom Visits to help students to become familiar with the ASC’s services
Faculty can encourage students to visit the ASC by: