Capital Community College Travel Policies pertain to all employees and students traveling for CCC. Questions regarding travel should be address to CCC’s Purchasing Department: Carrie Benyei X65066 or Anne Romus X65065, reimbursement questions to Ann Schuman X65057. Professional Development information is located on our HR web site.


Out-of-state or foreign travel is composed of:

  1. Approval via submission of a Travel Authorization (Exhibit A).
  2. The actual trip.
  3. Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred via submission of a Travel Reimbursement form (Exhibit B) within 30 calendar days after completion of the trip.

In-state travel is composed of:

  1. Approval via submission of a Travel Authorization (Exhibit A).

Note: Mileage only or any non-mileage expense of $50 or less per trip does not require submission of a Travel Authorization.  A current certificate of insurance must be on file in the Business Office with minimum liabilities met (refer to section “Insurance and Use of Personally Owned Vehicle” on page 4 for detailed information).  Reimbursement is made via submission of a Travel Reimbursement form within 30 calendar days after travel.  Any forms submitted after this timeframe may be returned without reimbursement.

  1. The actual trip.
  2. Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred via submission of a Travel Reimbursement form (Exhibit B) within 30 calendar days after completion of the trip.

Note: Expenses that are incurred before travel is approved are the responsibility of the traveler, should the travel be disallowed.


“In-state Travel” means travel within the state of Connecticut.

“Out-of-state Travel” means non-foreign travel outside of the state of Connecticut.

“Foreign Travel” means travel to and within any areas not designated as “Non-Foreign”.

“Official Duty Station” means the building or other fixed location at which an employee reports for duty.

“Reimbursable Expenses” mean those expenses essential to transacting official business, including travel, meals, lodging, taxes, and business costs.

“Travel” means all necessary official transportation via rail, airline, bus, taxi, or car.


An approved Travel Authorization is required for:

  • All out-of-state and foreign travel at cost or “no cost” to the College”. Appropriate auto insurance must be on file in the Business Office if using a personally owned vehicle.
  • in-state travel involving any non-mileage expense greater than $50.00 per trip.

An approved Travel Authorization must be submitted to the Purchasing Office prior to travel.  Failure to submit an approved Travel Authorization at least two (2) weeks prior to travel will mean that the Purchasing Office may be unable to render prepayments as requested.

A Travel Authorization received in the Purchasing Office after the travel has begun may not be acceptable.  The reasons for the late submission must be documented on the Policy Exception Request form (Exhibit C) and approved by the traveler’s supervisor.

It is the responsibility of the traveler to ensure that appropriate coverage arrangements have been made where needed (i.e. for classroom coverage, etc.).


Copies of all relevant documentation must be attached to the Travel Authorization as substantiating information to the travel expenses requested.  This includes copies of the conference bulletin or announcement showing the name, location and inclusive dates of the conference, registration fee, and conference hotel fee schedule (if applicable).


Required approvals for Travel Authorizations, and the responsibilities carried by the signatories and approvers, are as follows:

  1. Traveler’s signature. By signing the Travel Authorization, the traveler is certifying that the travel is necessary to the business of the College; the estimated expenditures are reasonable, proper, and in compliance with travel policies; and no personal expenditures are included.  The traveler is also recognizing that the actual reimbursement paid may be less than the estimate shown on the Travel Authorization depending on the actual expenditures as verified by supporting documentation or on the amount of funding approved.
  1. Supervisor’s and President’s signature. By signing the Travel Authorization, the supervisor/approving authority and President is certifying that he/she is aware that the travel is necessary to the business of the College, the estimated expenditures listed are reasonable and necessary, and that arrangements have been made to cover position requirements in the traveler’s absence.
  1. Budget Authority’s signature. By signing the Travel Authorization, the budget authority is certifying that funds are available in the amount of the Travel Authorization. The budget authority is authorized and has the option of declining all or a portion of the submitted trip.
  1. Purchasing Office authorization. It is the Purchasing Office’s responsibility to verify that all proper supporting documents are attached to the Travel Authorization, and that all figures and requests are in compliance with travel policies.  The Purchasing Office has the authority to decline all or a portion of the submitted trip based on non-compliance with published travel procedures.


Revisions of Travel Authorizations are not necessary for inconsequential additions or deletions (less than 10% of the original approved Travel Authorization).  Revisions are required if the total qualifying cost of the actual trip exceeds 10% of the approved Travel Authorization, subject to fund limitations.  Revised Travel Authorizations require signatures only for new funding sources or increases in funding amounts.

The originally approved Travel Authorization number must be indicated on the revision.  A revised Travel Authorization must be submitted with the exact amount of reimbursement expected along with the completed Travel Reimbursement form and its supporting documentation. The Travel Authorization will not be processed in the event that funds are not available.


Cancellation of an approved Travel Authorization must be made in writing or by e-mail to the Purchasing Office.  This must be done to release encumbered travel monies, if applicable. Any non-cancelable costs of the trip will be the personal responsibility of the traveler unless the reason for cancellation is approved by the traveler’s supervisor.

It is the traveler’s responsibility to ensure that airline, rail tickets, hotel or registrations are canceled and the Purchasing Office notified for possible credit or reuse.



Travelers authorized to travel on State business using their personal vehicle must submit to the Business Office, prior to reimbursement, a copy of the Declaration Page of the insurance policy which covers the vehicle(s) to be used.  The Declaration Page must show the policy limits, the names of the insured, and the effective dates of coverage, and must meet the minimum liability of insurance required by the State of Connecticut’s regulations governing the use of personally owned vehicles used for State business as published by DAS Fleet Operations (General Letter 115).  Those minimums currently are:

Bodily Injury Liability:  $50,000 each person/$100,000 each occurrence;  Property Damage:  $5,000.

Alternatively, in lieu of the above, a combined $105,000 minimum for bodily injury and property damage is acceptable.

Certain exceptions to these guidelines may apply depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement.

Mileage reimbursements will not be processed without a copy of the Declaration Page of the appropriate insurance policy (that which covers the date(s) of travel) being on file with the Travel Office to establish that minimum liabilities have been satisfied.  An insurance card is unacceptable proof of minimum liabilities since the limits of coverage are not shown on the card.

Rate of Reimbursement

The rate of reimbursement for personal mileage includes reimbursement for all costs of operation, including, but not limited to, gas, oil, and wear and tear.  Parking fees and tolls necessarily paid by the traveler may be reimbursed separately.  Charges for road service, repairs, towage and other similar expenses are not reimbursable.

In cases where air, bus or rail travel is utilized, personal mileage to and from the airport, depot or station will be reimbursed (provided that a copy of the Declaration Page of the employee’s insurance policy is on file with the Business Office and minimum insurance coverage requirements have been satisfied).

Mileage or rail reimbursement cannot exceed lowest available airfare to the same destination.  Any comparisons to airfares, for any purpose, will be based upon assumed flight origin at Bradley International Airport. Additional meals and other travel expenses due to the use of an automobile or rail, in lieu of public transportation, are allowed up to the cost of airfare to the same destination; but will not be allowed if their inclusion would raise the cost of the automobile trip above the airfare or rail to the same destination.

Additional reimbursements may be made in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements.

Determination of Mileage

For all travel except that between the Capital and the System Office (not reimbursable), mileage from point-to-point will be determined through the use of Mapquest, Google Maps, or equivalent web site.    A copy of the directions must be printed and submitted with the travel reimbursement request.  Reimbursements will not be processed without this documentation.

When submitting reimbursement requests which include travel to more than one location within a single town or city, each location within the town or city to which the traveler went must be identified and the mileage between the various locations must be disclosed.

Transportation of any kind between an employee’s home and official duty station is not reimbursable, with the exception of part-time supervising faculty (e.g. student teaching supervisors, cooperating student supervisors, clinical education supervisors).

If the use of a personally-owned motor vehicle by an employee is authorized to be used for official state business on the employee’s fixed regularly-scheduled work day, and the employee leaves from and returns to his/her home rather than his/her duty station, the employee shall be reimbursed at an established mileage rate for travel on official state business less his/her commute to/from home to his/her official duty station as per Mapquest, unless another method of calculating mileage has been provided under the applicable collective bargaining agreement – this includes weekend days, non-work days and holidays.


All airline and rail service may be booked through any available outlet.  Employees should purchase the lowest reasonable commercial fare available.  The definition of the “lowest reasonable commercial fare” is the least costly, coach-class fare that uses a regularly scheduled commercial carrier.  In selecting a commercial fare, travelers should not consider their preferences for airline, type of aircraft or connecting airports but instead should choose the lowest reasonable commercial fare.  Likewise, travelers may not insist on non-stop flights; a trip may require one plane transfer both departing and returning.

Any difference in cost for class upgrade will be at the expense of the traveler, except where first class or business class travel is approved, as described below.

The use of first class and business class is discouraged; however, in the case of an exception, the following must be adhered to:

  • Business class rather than first class must be used whenever available.
  • First class is only to be used when business class is not available.
  • Use of business class or first class requires the BOR President, University President, College President or their designees’ original signature and written justification for the exception. Request form (Exhibit C).
  • Total flight time (from point of departure to destination – actual time in the air) must be a total of six (6) hours or more.
  • A copy of the flight itinerary must be attached to the Travel Authorization in order to verify flight time.

A traveler may be reimbursed for the actual and necessary expense incurred for changing flight plans, subject to the approval of the fund manager.  It is the responsibility of the traveler to substantiate that the charges were necessary and proper, and to obtain the appropriate approvals.  Any additional charge for changing flight plans due to personal reasons or for the convenience of the traveler may be borne by the traveler.

Any service fees or processing fees charged to the traveler in conjunction with the purchase of airfare will be reimbursed to the traveler by the university.

Reimbursement for all air travel will be at the lowest coach available rate.  The College will not reimburse travelers for airline tickets that had no cost, such as “free” tickets earned on frequent flier or other incentive programs.

Additional flight insurance is not reimbursable through the College.  Airline and other travel supplier a la carte services that are for personal use (e.g., movie, personal on-board shopping, alcohol) are not reimbursable and must be paid for with personal funds.

Extra expenses – upgrades/early bird check in, etc. paid seats are not reimbursable.


Baggage fees will be reimbursed for one (1) piece of checked baggage each way.

If a traveler is not charged for the 1st piece of checked baggage, the State will not allow reimbursement for additional pieces unless an appropriate business purpose is provided.

Excess weight charges will not be reimbursed.

Receipts are required for any baggage fees.


Reimbursement for all rail travel will be at the lowest coach available rate.  Standard coach accommodations will be provided for rail journeys less than six hours duration.  First class fare will not be allowed unless the continuous rail journey is more than six hours in duration.

Travel via the Acella train is not a reimbursable expense as it is not the lowest cost option mode of rail travel.

Travelers should use the least expensive mode to travel to airports, which may include a personal vehicle, a rented vehicle, a taxi, or a shuttle service.


The request to rent a vehicle must be justified in writing and will be considered if public transportation is unavailable or if automobile rental results in a cost savings, which must be documented by the traveler and included as part of the justification on a Policy Exception Request form (Exhibit C).

If a traveler is staying at a conference location rental vehicles are not normally allowed as staying at the conference location eliminates the need for transportation other than to/from the airport.

The state contract should be used to rent a vehicle for use on state business, whether in-state or out-of-state.  If the state contract is used, for passenger cars and mini-vans, third party liability and property damage liability insurance are included in the rental rates, and therefore any additional insurance purchased by the employee will not be reimbursed.  For any other type of vehicle, OR if the state contract is not used, collision and personal accident insurance offered by the rental company must be purchased by the employee, and will be reimbursed as a regular travel expense.

The size and class of the rented vehicle should be reasonable and appropriate for the number of authorized passengers employed by the College or student of the College.  Travelers should only rent vehicles in the following classes:  Economy, Compact, Intermediate, Standard, Full Size, Mini-Van, Cargo Van, and Pick-up Truck.  Travelers may not rent vehicles in the following classes without justification and prior written approval from the appropriate Department Head, Director, or Dean:  Premium, Luxury, Small Sport Utility, or Large Sport Utility.

The College will not pay for penalties, fines, fees, fuel service, fuel surcharges, or extra cost options.

Travelers must submit the car rental agreement indicating the class of vehicle selected, and gasoline receipts, with their Travel Reimbursement Form.  The receipt must show payment, including the rental agreement number, mileage in and mileage out.  Credit card receipts are not sufficient for reimbursement.


Reasonable use of taxis, airport limousines and similar transport to and from the airport or common carrier terminal and the conference site will be reimbursed at cost if included on the Travel Authorization. The lowest cost option should be chosen.

Cost of taxis to and from places of lodging to take meals or participate in non-conference related events, is part of the incidental expenses component of the meal per diem and is not reimbursable.


An employee traveling on College business is normally not entitled to lodging when travel distance is less than seventy-five miles one way.  Exceptions to this policy will be at the discretion of the appropriate senior manager after reviewing and approving the justification provided by the traveler.  (Use Policy Exception Request form Exhibit C).

Lodging costs may be reimbursed at the single room rate up to the actual amount incurred by the traveler.  The traveler should make every effort to obtain the lowest-cost lodging possible.  In the case of a conference, each college may choose to permit the employee to stay at the conference hotel instead of seeking the lowest rate available.

All claims for lodging, with or without meals, must be supported by:

  • An original itemized receipt showing a zero balance or
  • An itemized receipt showing a zero balance faxed or e-mailed directly to the Purchasing Office by the hotel

All receipts must be itemized showing the dates, room rate and applicable taxes, a zero balance and the traveler’s name(s).  If a zero balance is not shown, the credit card statement, with the traveler’s name, along with the original lodging receipt will be acceptable proof of payment.  A confirmation is not proof of payment and a credit card statement alone does not satisfy the receipt requirement.

Under no circumstances will lodging be paid for a guest or spouse.

Lodging is a reimbursement and is, therefore, not considered reportable wages.  (This pertains also to transportation, registration fees, parking charges, mileage, tolls and telephone charges.)

If an employee stays with friends or relatives while on official state business, no reimbursement for lodging is allowed, whether or not any payment for lodging is made to the friend or relative.


In-state meal allowances are not authorized within the limits of any employee’s official duty station. In-state meal reimbursement is not authorized for travel within the CSCU System (excluding grants). For in-state travel, the meal policy is as follows:

  • One-day Seminars/Workshops/Conferences – No meal reimbursement will be allowed unless it is included in the registration fee, or, if charged separately, the meal is considered a formal part of the conference (i.e. awards luncheon with keynote speaker).
  • Overnight Seminars/Workshops/Conferences – When the registration fee for a conference includes a meal(s), it must be noted on the Travel Authorization and the daily meal allowance must be reduced accordingly. Deduction is based on the Allocation of Meal & Incidental Expenses rates, as per Exhibit E. An exception will be made for the following:
  • Continental Breakfast – When only a continental breakfast is served, reimbursement for breakfast will be provided.
  • Reception – If there is only a reception provided in the evening, reimbursement for dinner will be provided.

In the case of a traveler claiming actual meal expenses documented with receipts, for both in-state and out-of-state meal reimbursement, eligibility for meal allowance reimbursement on the days of departure and return is determined by the departure and/or arrival time according to the following schedule:

Breakfast:       Departure from Official Duty Station or home BEFORE 7:00 a.m.

Arrival at Official Duty Station or home AFTER 9:00 a.m.

Lunch:            Departure from Official Duty Station or home BEFORE 11:00 a.m.

Arrival at Official Duty Station or home AFTER 2:00 p.m.

Dinner:           Departure from Official Duty Station or home BEFORE 5:00 p.m.

Arrival at Official Duty Station or home AFTER 7:00 p.m.

Incidental expenses are part of the meal per diem and include:

  • fees and tips for porters, bellhops, hotel maids, stewards or stewardesses and others on vessels and hotel servants in foreign countries. Note that tips are voluntary and based upon judgment; therefore tips exceeding the incidental expense allowance will not be reimbursed
  • laundry and cleaning and pressing of clothing
  • transportation between places of lodging and where meals are taken
  • Expenses for liquor (including beer and wine) and floor cover charges billed with food are not reimbursable.

(Reimbursement chart see Exhibit D)


For non-foreign out-of-state travel, reimbursement of expenses is allowed for one travel day preceding a conference and for one travel day following the conference. For example, the conference starts on Monday and travel begins on Sunday, reimbursement is made for the travel day, which is Sunday. However, if the same conference begins on Monday and travel begins on the proceeding Friday, reimbursement is made for the travel day, which is Friday. There will be no reimbursement of expenses for Saturday and Sunday preceding the conference. The same applies for travel following the conference.

If an exception to the rule is to be considered, the employee must clearly show a cost savings as a result of arriving at the destination earlier or leaving the conference site later than the one day before or after the conference dates.  Proof of cost savings on same date of booking and from same source must be provided or the exception will not be reimbursable.

Travel must be by the most direct route possible and any employee traveling by an indirect route must assume any additional expenses incurred.


When combining personal pursuits with business on a trip, indicate the dates (and location, if alternate destination routing) of the personal time on the Travel Authorization.  In cases where this can be arranged, it is understood that the employee will be responsible for the additional costs incurred as a result of the alternate site routing and notation must be made on the Travel Authorization of that cost. Reimbursement of expenses on those dates is NOT allowable. To determine the additional cost of alternate site routing, the traveler must provide a quotation of the cost of round-trip airfare directly to and from the business destination. Quotations must be from the same source on the same day that travel is booked.  (ie.  travel agency, internet website)  The difference between the cost of the round-trip airfare including the alternate site routing versus the cost of the round-trip airfare directly to and from the business destination constitutes the additional cost of alternate site routing.


Charges for telephone calls made for official College or University business while traveling are reimbursable, unless the employee has an institution issued cell phone or cell phone stipend that includes a voice tier option.

Travelers will receive reimbursement for charges for internet access, use of a fax machine, use of a computer and other similar business services while conducting College or University business.  An original receipt with a zero balance is required for these reimbursements.


Fourteen-day parking permits are available to travelers on College business for Bradley International Airport.  The permits allow state employees to park in designated lots.  If a traveler does not request a parking permit or fails to secure the permit from the Travel Office before departure, their parking expenses will not be reimbursed.

If the business travel extends beyond the permit’s fourteen-day limit, the traveler is responsible for the additional fees, but may be reimbursed for the additional parking expense.

If the state-designated lots are at capacity, travelers should park at the lowest-cost economy parking lot; travelers will be reimbursed for parking expenses incurred when the state-designated lots are at capacity.

If the Bradley parking permit is not used it must be returned to the Travel Office.

Parking in the Bradley Airport parking garage will not be reimbursed.

Parking charges for airports other than Bradley International Airport are reimbursable; proof of payment is required.


Supporting documentation attached to the Travel Authorization must show this fee.  It is possible to have the College prepay a conference fee if requested on the Travel Authorization at least two (2) weeks prior to the sponsoring organization’s payment due date.  The completed registration form must be attached to the Travel Authorization and the organization’s Federal Employee Identification Number (FEIN) must be indicated on the Travel Authorization.

No reimbursement can be made for any social events or tours not related directly to the purpose of the trip.


Travelers should submit a Travel Reimbursement Form with all applicable original receipts.  No claims are to be filed for reimbursement of expenses without documenting the actual expenditure and must not be reimbursed until the trip has been completed.  Each expenditure must be supported by a paid receipt.

Travelers must submit their original air ticket itinerary and receipt, rail or bus ticket stubs to the Travel Reimbursement form regardless if reimbursement is claimed or unclaimed.  All receipts need to show proof of payment.

When booking online trip packages through Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, or any other online booking agent, a cost breakdown of each travel component, such as airfare, lodging and car rental is required.

All claims for lodging must be supported with an original itemized receipt indicating the date and amount expended, regardless of cost.  Under no circumstances will lodging be paid for a guest or spouse unless they are also traveling on approved college or university business. Itemized expenses must be listed in detail.

Regardless of cost, proof of registration fee payment for a workshop or conference is required.  Acceptable forms include, but are not limited to:

  • A paid receipt
  • A receipt faxed or e-mailed directly to the Purchasing Office by the sponsoring organization
  • A copy of both sides (face and endorsement side) of a cancelled check or the original cancelled check
  • A copy of a bank statement or a printed electronic bank statement along with a copy (photocopy or duplicate check copy) of the front side of the check.
  • A print-out of a web-banking statement indicating the payee and amount paid.

If any of the required receipts are missing or lost, a Policy Exception Request (see Exhibit C) must be attached to the Travel Reimbursement form.

All claims for reimbursement must have personal bank account numbers and credit card numbers made illegible on documentation for your personal protection.

Altered receipts will not be reimbursed.

If partial funding for the travel is made available from sources other than the College or University (i.e. an organization or foundation), the traveler must provide proof of which expenses are provided from that source.


Costs for tickets, guest meals and similar extraordinary expenses will not be reimbursed unless such charges relate directly to the purpose of the trip and are on the approved Travel Authorization.

Parking charges for airports other than Bradley International Airport are reimbursable; proof is payment is required.  Refer to Bradley International Airport section, page

Expenditures for non-business related personal expenses such as theater tickets, entertainment, toiletries and alcohol are not reimbursable.

Reimbursement is made for actual expenses only and may differ from the estimated costs on the Travel Authorization.

Transportation of any kind between an employee’s home and official duty station is not reimbursable, with the exception of part-time supervising faculty (e.g. student teaching supervisors, cooperating student supervisors, clinical education supervisors).

Occasionally, an employee may purchase books or conference materials at a conference or workshop that was not included on the original Travel Authorization.  A revised Travel Authorization may be required.


All of the above travel policies apply when undertaking foreign travel.

Persons in travel status in “Foreign” areas as defined on page 1 may be reimbursed for the reasonable expenses associated with their travel.  Such expenses include, but are not limited to, the cost of:

  • visa
  • inoculations
  • currency exchange
  • airport taxes
  • departure taxes
  • prepaid calling cards (prepaid cell phones are not reimbursable)
  • excess baggage

Indication must be made on the Travel Reimbursement form of the exchange rate(s) used to convert foreign receipts to U.S. currency.  If the original documentation of exchange rate(s) is not available for submission with the travel reimbursement form, the exchange rate applicable on the last day of travel in each different country will be used.  This information, along with a currency converter, is available on the following web site:

All receipts paid by the traveler using foreign currency must clearly indicate the foreign currency type.  If the receipt does not indicate the foreign currency type, the traveler should handwrite it in.

A copy of the currency conversion from the website for each receipt must be submitted with the travel reimbursement request.  Reimbursements will not be processed without this documentation.

The Interbank Rate plus zero will be used for reimbursement.  If a charge card is used the statement must be submitted to show the amount charged.  If a traveler uses their charge card and incurs additional fees and wishes to be reimbursed for those fees, the traveler must submit their credit card statement documenting the actual expenses incurred.